Wax is extensively used for the cleaning an upkeep of your car. It provides a protective layer on the car and the enviable shine to it. Car waxes have been used since long as car cleaning material. Applying wax to the car saves the body paint by reducing and disallowing oxidation. The thin continuous, protective layer that is formed by the application of the wax prevents the paint from direct contact with the air in case it is wet and thus prevents oxidation process. However, waxes do not provide protection against chemicals and bird feces which contains harmful chemicals and can affect the car paint.
How does waxing Help?
Car wax provides the much needed shine and protection to the car paint from the harmful dust which if settles and subsequently rubbed can damage the paint with scratches. With waxing dust does not settle with the body of the car and can be easily removed. Scratches do not look good on the car. Applying car wax helps in hiding the scratches under the shine of the wax. Water can initiate the process of oxidation thereby forming rust in the areas which have scratches and the body is exposed because of removal of paint from the area.
Car wax applications do not hold for a long time. One needs to apply them after a gap of every 3-4 months. This maintains the paint and protects it from scratches.
How to apply wax?
Before applying wax to the car here are a few tips which need to be followed:
- Get all the materials related to wax application namely sponge, clean cotton cloth, applicator and of course a good and reliable wax.
- Get your car washed, cleaned and dried properly.
- Purchase the wax which is non-abrasive in nature, this will protect the car paint.
- Read the details and the instructions related to applying , as provided in the wax packet.
- Get the car buffered before the application of the wax. This is generally beneficial in removing the small scratches and ensuring a smooth and uniform wax application.
- Before you start out on the process completely, apply wax to a small area on the car and check the results. If you find the desired effect which pleases you, proceed further.
Technique of waxing:
As the wax is available in the solution form, they tend to settle at the bottom of the container. It is therefore important to shake the bottle or the container so that the wax mixes well and forms a uniform solution. Start by putting a small amount of wax on the body of the car and then spread it uniformly. Sine the car tends to be dirtier at the bottom hence it is advised to start from the top , finish the upper portion of the different panels of the car before starting with the lower part of the car. Use a separate cloth for applying towards the lower part.
Applying just the right quantity of wax is essential for the right effect and great shine. If one applies lesser quantity of wax, it will not provide the correct amount of protection and will require more frequent applications. On the other hand applying large amounts and thick layer will only prove to be a wastage and the shine is not that great.
Wax is meant for the protection of the paint of the car and hence should not be applied to the glass, metal and the rubber portion of the car. These parts can get spoilt form wax application.
Waxing should not be immediately followed by buffing . One should wait for 5-10 minutes before going for buffing after the waxing process is complete. This offers the best effects and the shiny look to the car.